If you are a DACA recipient, you may be eligible to travel outside the United States through advance parole. Advance parole is a temporary travel authorization document that offers you permission to return to the United States without jeopardizing your status.

USCIS will only grant advance parole if your travel abroad will be in furtherance of:

  • humanitarian purposes, including travel to obtain medical treatment, attending funeral services for a family member, or visiting an ailing relative;
  • educational purposes, such as semester-abroad programs and academic research; or
  • employment purposes such as overseas assignments, interviews, conferences or, training, or meetings with clients overseas.

Travel for vacation is not a valid basis for advance parole.


Warning: If you travel outside the United States without first receiving advance parole, your departure automatically terminates your deferred action under DACA. You must first file your application for advance parole and be approved before exiting the United States.

If you need assistance seeking advance parole, call (763)951-2235 to make an appointment!



Besides the opportunity to travel abroad, advance parole could open a pathway to citizenship. Once you return form your trip, USCIS considers you to have legally entered the United States. With this, if you have an immediate relative who is a United States citizen -such as a spouse or child over 21- who can petition for you, and you entered with an advance parole document, you may be eligible to apply for your legal permanent residency (green card) here in the United States.